So, in my email the other day, I received this intriguing little slice of happiness:
Art vs. Design
Images are power. In this dynamic era compelling design can move millions and transcendent art can inspire a generation. From cave paintings of early man to today’s industrial designers, art & design
has uniquely shaped the world around us, each in its own distinct way. This contest is designed to answer the age old question: What shapes our world more, art or design?
To find the answer, we need YOU to enter the dialogue.
Mark Mothersbaugh, acclaimed artist and lead singer of art-rock band DEVO leads a panel of judges including Jarrett Gregory (curator at NYC’s New Museum) and Donwan Harrell (founder and creative director of Akademiks clothing) in selecting the top artist or designer to be featured at a gala reception at the New Museum in June. The public also plays judge – determining the most powerful medium of the moment–in an online face-off that pits art submissions against design submissions.
Opportunities will be created for everyone who participates and we are awarding over $11,000 in prizes.
Grand Prize & Student winner will be awarded with:
* A gala reception the New Museum in New York City
* $2009 cash grant
* International Publicity, including a feature in Filter Magazine and work shown through Gawker Artists exposing the winners art or design to hundreds of thousands of visitors across 190+ website galleries
* $500 in gear from Akademiks
* Plus the Red Bull Prize: Offering a choice of: A vintage Vespa OR a trip to London to visit the Tate Museum and the Design Museum OR a fully loaded Mac Book Pro
Every participant gets:
* An online portfolio and international exposure
* A $70 “Thank You” package with gear and discounts to help further your work
Registration is open now and continues through Midnight May 31st.
Art VS Design was put together by a handful of Brooklyn based artists and designers who have experienced first-hand the difficulties of achieving national attention. We believe both Art & Design hold a powerful place in our society and it is our intention to break-out new talent through a process that is dynamic and open-ended.
This is a really brilliant way to run a competition; it’s like a Threadless-by-committee vote, and there seems to be no downside.
If you haven’t guessed, I’m all sign-up and registered and ready to be voted on by the masses.
If you’re an artist or a designer, go sign-up! It’s $25 for your own international promotion!